Thursday, March 4, 2010

Gingerbread Waffles Smothered in Blackberry Syrup


Doug promised to make the girls waffles for breakfast and boy was I glad he did! Can you believe my cute husband whipped up these beauties? :) Unfortunately, our waffle iron broke a while back, and we didn't realize until half way through the recipe. Luckily, we were able to whip out the sandwich maker and it worked just fine- I thought they were cute little triangle waffles. :) And of coarse I have to make some yummy syrup to go on top! The combination was dynamite! Thanks Doug! (*This recipe came from "Where's Mom Now That I Need Her?"- a gift to Doug from his mom when he was out on his own... it's a good one! :) She taught him well, wouldn't you say!

Gingerbread Waffles
1/4 C butter or margarine
1/2 C brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup light molasses
2 eggs, well beaten
1 cup milk
2 cup sifted flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp salt
Optional topping: 2 bananas, sliced and 1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped

Cream butter, brown sugar, molasses, egg, and milk. Sift together flour, baking powder, ginger, allspice, and salt; add to molasses mixture. Bake on greased waffle iron. Top with sliced bananas and whipped cream.

For the Syrup:
I have posted these syrup recipes before. I just kind of make it up as I go, most of the time. This time I used frozen blackberries. (They have really big seeds, but they are tasty.) But it is usually the same general concept. I really liked how this one turned out, but the "very berry" is still my favorite.

Very Berry Syrup
Rasberry Sauce

Posted by Picasa

No comments: