Monday, March 29, 2010

Toasted Millet Banana Muffins


This is another one of Kathleen's great recipes. Are you thinking what I'm thinking... For Pete's sake Kathleen, start a blog! She is a "real" cook- she does the research and truly experiments. BUT- I have no problem whatsoever including her goodness here either! :) She made these particularly for me with the "perfect crunchy texture" just the way I like it.... and I must say- it was perfect. My husband and I were munching and talking after a long day, and before we even batted and eye we had each eaten three. They were fabulous! We both had to leave the kitchen because we could have kept going, but we wanted to save at least one for breakfast. :) Try this one out- loved the millet and the yummy banana flavor!!

Toasted Millet Banana Muffins
1 cup millet
1 cup all-purpose flour [I used 2 cups of white whole wheat flour]
1 cup white whole wheat flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg [I don't care for nutmeg so I used 1/2 t cinnamon]
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar [I used 1 cup Sucanat instead of white + brown]
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 and 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 2 very large bananas)
1/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract [I used 1 Tablespoon Real Vanilla]

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 14 regular size muffin cups with paper liners. [I got 18]

Spread the millet out on a cookie sheet and bake 10-12 minutes. Every three or four minutes, take the pan out and give it a careful shake (not too hard, or you'll have millet all over your oven and floor--yes, I'm speaking from experience); this will ensure that every kernel of millet gets toasted. Set aside to cool. [Mine only needed 9 minutes; it was starting to smoke and I figured the little guys had had enough toasting for the day.]

Whisk the flours, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg in a medium bowl with a whisk.

Beat the sugar, brown sugar, and butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 1 minute). Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the banana, yogurt, and vanilla, beating until blended. Add flour mixture and millet, beating at low speed just until moist. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
[I used a large size cookie scoop for my batter and ended up with 18 muffins.]

Bake 15-18 minutes until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove muffins from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
Makes 14 muffins.

Nutrition per Serving (1 muffin):Calories 188; Fat 4.8g (poly 0.9g, mono 1.5g, sat 2.4g); Protein 3.5g; Fiber: 2.6g; Cholesterol 40mg; Carbohydrate 35g.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

jess and seth said...

I love millet! Scrumdiddlyumptious.