Monday, March 22, 2010

Beans by a Mexican

I LOVE BEANS! My family wishes I didn't like them as much as I do. :) But some things are worth the sacrifice- at least that's what I think . :) I have always wanted to learn how to make authentic Mexican Beans, and my friend Susana was willing to share her recipe and teach me some tricks. I think it is fairly similar to the Crockpot Beans I posted a while back. This one just seems to add the ingredients after the beans are cooked. The recipe is fairly simple, so it is surprising how much flavor comes as a result. I thought they were excellent- my girls seriously gobbled them up!

Beans by a Mexican (She called it that, just so you don't think I'm being racist. :)
1 lb. dry beans (pinto or black)
1/3 cup chopped onions or more if desired
1/4 cup cooking oil or less
1/2 to 1 pepper (Serrano or Jalapeno) (Now I'm not big on heat, but I was surprised that I could handle this much spice, and I think it is pretty important to the flavor.)
2 tsp salt

Clean beans. Soak in about 6 cups of water for at least 4 hours, overnight works perfectly.

Rinse the beans a couple of times for better digestion. (This is really supposed to make a difference.) Put beans in a slow cooker plus enough water to cover the beans; about 6 cups. Do not add anything else at this point. Can replace slow cooker for pressure cooker which would cut time substantially. Cook on high for about 4 hours. Beans should be soft but not destroyed.

In a medium pan,. heat oil on medium or low setting. Add chopped onion and chopped pepper according to preference. Include seeds if you prefer a spicier flavor. Saute onions and pepper until onion is clear and tender. Add beans and salt and bring to a boil on medium heat until beans have absorbed the flavor. Boil longer for a thicker consistency. Then simmer and enjoy! If you prefer re-fried beans use a blender (or an immersion blender) Make sure you separated the water first and add as needed or your beans will be too runny.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: