Sunday, March 28, 2010

Blackberry Hazelnut Honey Crisp

I found this yummy recipe in a Sunset magazine at the doctors office. I was impressed at how little sugar/honey this recipe required. You could tell- it wasn't like pie or jam, but it was still really good. Not adding so much sugar meant you could actually tasted the flavor of the berries. :) I liked the top part (even though I don't think I did it right- I think it was supposed to be more chunky. I think I accidentally halved the butter, so it didn't hold together as well, but I still liked it.) Also- I didn't have haselnuts, and that seemed like a tedious process of toasting and de-shelling, so I actually just used chopped pecans.

Blackberry Hazelnut Honey Crisp

Yield: Makes 8 servings

Ingredients

  • 36 ounces fresh or frozen blackberries (8 cups)
  • 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
  • 1/4 cup berry blossom or wildflower honey
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 3/4 cup shelled hazelnuts
  • 1/4 cup each flour and sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, toss berries with tapioca. In a small bowl, combine honey, lemon juice, and 1 tbsp. boiling water. Stir to dissolve honey. Add to berries and toss to combine. Put in an 8- by 8-in. baking pan and set aside.

2. Spread hazelnuts on a baking sheet and toast in oven until medium golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Rub nuts in a kitchen towel to remove skins; let nuts cool. In a food processor, pulse nuts until finely ground. Add flour, sugar, and salt and pulse to combine. Add butter and pulse until mixture forms a thick dough. Stir in oats. Drop in flattened 1-tsp. chunks over berries. Bake until topping is brown and berries are bubbling, about 1 hour. Let cool to set, 30 minutes.

Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.

Nutritional Information

Calories:
341 (50% from fat)
Protein:
3.7g
Fat:
19g (sat 7.7)
Carbohydrate:
43g
Fiber:
7.3g
Sodium:
282mg
Cholesterol:
31mg

Posted by Picasa

No comments: