Friday, July 23, 2010

Lime Cupcakes with Lime Frosting


10 limes for $1, I just couldn't pass it up, and I am so glad I didn't! The citrus lime flavor transforms a boring cupcake into something fresh and summery! I love what it did to the icing!
I am quite tickled with myself making cute cupcakes- it is something I have always stunk at, but I made these for my sisters birthday party and I was so happy with how they turned out, and with how easy it was to frost them! I guess what I am getting at, is that if I can make cute cupcakes, then you certainly can too! :)

Lime Cupcakes with Lime Frosting
(Adapted from alanskitchen.com)

Makes 24 cupcakes

Preparation time: 30 min.
Baking time: 23 min.

Ingredients

  • Cake Ingredients
    • 3 - cups all-purpose flour
    • 1 - Tablespoon baking powder
    • 1/2 - teaspoon salt
    • 1-1/2 - cups sugar
    • 3/4 - cup Butter, softened
    • 4 - eggs
    • 1 - Tablespoon vanilla
    • 1 - cup milk
    • The zest and juice of 1-2 limes
  • Frosting Ingredients
    • 3/4 - cup Butter, softened
    • 6 - cups powdered sugar
    • 1/8 - teaspoon salt
    • 1 - Tablespoon half and half or milk
    • 1 - teaspoon vanilla
    • 1 tablespoon freshly grated lime peel (I zested 2 times)
    • 2 Tablespoons lime juice (the juice of 2 limes)
    • 2 - Tablespoons light corn syrup

Directions

Cupcake

Preheat oven to 350�F. Line cupcake pans with paper liners. Set aside.

  1. Stir together flour, baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in large bowl. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, beat sugar and 3/4 cup butter at medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally, until creamy.
  3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
  4. Add 1 tablespoon vanilla, and lime zest and juice.
  5. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition, just until mixed.
  6. Divide batter evenly among cupcake cups and bake for 23 to 28 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
  7. Cool on wire racks 10 minutes and remove cupcakes from pans. Cool completely.

Frosting

  1. In a large bowl, beat 3/4 cup butter at medium speed until creamy.
  2. Gradually add powdered sugar and 1/8 teaspoon salt alternately with half & half and 1 teaspoon vanilla, lime peel and juice, scraping bowl often, until well mixed.
  3. Stir in corn syrup.
  4. Frost cupcakes. (I scooped all my frosting into a zip-lock bag, got air out and sealed tightly. Then I cut about 1/4 inch off the end and piped icing out in a circle starting on the outside of the cupcake and moving into the center. I garnished with a lime slice.

3 comments:

Amy Jo Romney said...

wow lyd! Those look amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish I was there to eat them with you.

jess and seth said...

Wow, those are the most beautiful cupcakes I've ever seen! Love the idea of lime.

Keri said...

So I was looking on Facebook and one of my friends said she was making lime cupcakes with lime frosting. I then came here just now and you had the recipe. I guess she got the recipe from you and now the recipe and your blog is being shared with all of her facebook friends. Aren't Blogs and Facebook fun!