Monday, July 12, 2010

Chocolate Chip-Banana Bread Pudding


I love bread pudding, but I love it even more when all I have to do is throw it into the crockpot! I found this recipe, and was feeling lazy, so that is just what I did, and I think it is so much easier then "steam-bathing" it in the oven or whatever else you might do. This ended up being a great "post 4th of July" dessert- we had a bunch of left-over hamburger and hot dog buns, so that is what I used! We also had a plethera of banana's, so this was a great fit. This is a yummy, rich, no-hassle treat!

Chocolate Chip-Banana Bread Pudding with Carmel Topping (Adapted from Allrecipies.com)
4 eggs
2 cups milk
1 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 cups cubed French bread (I used left-over buns and just broke them up into 1 to 2 inch pieces.)
2 bananas, sliced
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

(If you are going to crockpot it like me, put your bread pieces bananas and chocolate chips tossed around in the bottom and pour the liquid mixture over the top. Let it cook on low for about 3 hours. DOES IT GET EASIER THEN THAT? Then throw a little caramel topping on for good measure. MMMmmm!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
In a large mixing bowl, mix eggs, milk, sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Stir in bread, bananas, and chocolate chips, and let rest 5 minutes for bread to soak. Pour into prepared pan.
Line a roasting pan with a damp kitchen towel. Place loaf pan on towel inside roasting pan, and place roasting pan on oven rack. Fill roasting pan with water to reach halfway up the sides of the loaf pan. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Tessa said...

I will have to try this one. I was also trying to figure out what to do with all of the leftover hotdog buns I had!