Sunday, March 7, 2010

Egg Salad Pockets

First of all, I am really excited to finally know how to properly make a hard boiled egg. Sound so easy- you just boil an egg, right? Wrong! You don't know how many times I have messed that one up! I finally figured it out though- 5 minutes of boil, take it off the heat, put the lid on, and 20 minutes of steaming. Then you take it out and put it in ice cold water or into the fridge. There you have it and it takes a lot longer than you thing, so do it ahead of time! Well, I was able to use my new found skills with this yummy recipe. And it's a good thing too- Easter is just around the corner! :) I thought it was brilliant! I added a tiny bit of cooked chicken, but you really don't have to- the egg was great, and it was a good mix of seasonings. Can you believe I bought special whole wheat pita pockets just for the occasion, but I put this one off too long, so by the time I got to this one, the pitas were all moldy. I was quite up-set! I HATE IT WHEN FOOD GOES BAD! I didn't even have any bread around, so be got creative and just put it on some lettuce with croutons, and it was actually really good. Necessity is the mother of invention. :)

Egg Salad Pockets (Simple and Delicious)
1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup Miracle Whip (I subbed plain yogurt)
1 celery rib, finely chopped (I used more to make it stretch)
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish (I'm just not a fan, so I just chopped up a bunch of pickles)
3/4 teaspoon dill weed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
6 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
3 pita breads (6 inches), halved
6 lettuce leaves

In a small bowl, combine cream cheese and Miracle Whip. Add the celery, onion, relish, dill weed, salt and mustard. Gently stir in eggs. Line pita halves with lettuce; fill each with 1/2 cup egg salad. Yield: 3 servings.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: