This in another recipe from Kathleen. I KNOW! She has been spoiling me with amazing cookies! This was equally delicious and a lot like the Oatmeal Raisin. All in all, I'm feelin' really happy to have these in my recipe box! GEMS!
The Ultimate Chocolate Chip Study Break Cookies
By Kathleen Tribble
1 cup (2 sticks) SALTED butter, cold & cubed
3/4 cup granulated organic sugar
3/4 cup Sucanat Sucanat is granulated, unprocessed, sugar cane (means it actually still has nutrition!) and is sold in the bulk bins at the Co-op. It is my favorite sugar and I use it almost exclusively. It has a rich wonderful flavor. Here's a link to read more about it.
2 large eggs
1 TABLESPOON real vanilla extract
3 1/4 cup King Arthur unbleached 100% White Whole Wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon REAL salt brand salt
3/4 teaspoon aluminum free baking powder (Bob's Red Mill)
1/4 teaspoon aluminum free baking soda (Bob's Red Mill)
1.5 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup walnut pieces
1/4 cup pecan pieces
1. Preheat oven to 335 (just turn dial halfway between 325 and 350).
2. Fit a stand mixer with paddle. Cream butter and sugars together. Scrape mixing bowl with spatula as needed. Add eggs one at a time and beat well before adding the next. Then add the tablespoon of pure vanilla and mix well.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, chocolate chips and nuts.
4. With mixer on low, slowly tap in dry ingredients into wet and mix until blended (does not take long).
5. Use a large size cookie scoop (I use Pampered Chef) and scoop onto wax paper lined jelly roll pan. No need to cover pan. You will have about 22 domed scoops (unless you ate some cookie dough!) Place in freezer for a couple of hours or until firm.
6. Freezing is an essential step. You will not get the crisp outside and soft inside or the same thickness unless you freeze the dough. You can transfer frozen scoops all together into a zip style freezer bag for later baking (like single servings for a fresh baked cookie any time).
7. When ready to bake, place 6 frozen cookies on a Silpat lined rimless baking sheet. Be sure oven is preheated! Bake 10 minutes. Open oven and flatten cookies slightly with the back of a wooden spoon. Bake for 3 minutes more. You may need to adjust the bake times unique to your oven and taste preferences. Cookies will be slightly golden on the edges, but still a little undercooked-looking on the top.
8. Let cool completely on the baking sheet. Have a second baking sheet ready so you can alternate between the two. Cooling on the sheet is an essential step to set the cookie inside just right.
9. Serve or freeze baked cookies in zip style freezer bag. Easy to reheat single servings of cookies in a counter top convection oven for 2-3 minutes for that fresh baked melty chocolate warmth.