Saturday, March 20, 2010

Chocolate-Fruit Crepes

LauraM- I'm with you when you said you don't usually have buttermilk. It isn't usually on my shopping list either, so when I do get it, I have to make about five things containing buttermilk- feast or famine! :) (I thought your idea with the milk, lemon juice and vinegar was brilliant by the way. I have heard of it, but never tried it, so I would be curious to see how well it works.) I love it in breakfast things! It really does seem to make a difference and give it that perfect flavor! I was excited to have it on hand, because I saw this recipe a little while back and really wanted to try it. It wasn't as chocolate-y as I had imagined, but it was still really good. The filling sounded fabulous, but I didn't have the cherries, so I stuck with chocolate and bananas.

Lyd Tips: I love to mix the batter the night before so I don't have to hassle with it in the morning. It seems to work well cold too. It just gives me some direction in the morning when I know I have a plan that is mostly already carried out! :)

Chocolate-Fruit Crepes
1-1/2 cups buttermilk
3 eggs
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons baking cocoa

FILLING:
1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
1 can (8-1/2 ounces) sliced peaches, drained and chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
1/3 cup hot fudge ice cream topping, warmed
Whipped cream, optional

In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs and butter. Combine the flour, sugar and cocoa; add to buttermilk mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Heat a lightly greased 8-in. nonstick skillet over medium heat; pour 2 tablespoons batter into the center of skillet. Lift and tilt pan to coat bottom evenly. Cook until top appears dry; turn and cook 15-20 seconds longer. Remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter, greasing skillet as needed. When cool, stack crepes with waxed paper or paper towels in between.

In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the pie filling, peaches and cinnamon. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 3-4 minutes or until heated through, stirring once. Stir in extract. Spoon 2 tablespoons filling down the center of each crepe. Fold sides of crepe over filling. Drizzle with ice cream topping and garnish with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 10 servings.

Nutrition Facts: 2 filled crepes (calculated without whipped cream) equals 241 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 109 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Hi Lyd. Just stumbled on to your cool blog because of the crepe posting. I love buttermilk crepes, too! Would you submit your vote for the best crepe to my page on the best crepe recipe in the world? We've got some friendly dialogue on the subject of crepes, and I'd love to have your thoughts!

Thanks!

LauraM said...

oooh...these look yummy!!!

LOVE the new look of your page!!!!!

I haven't tried the pancakes yet....I will though!!! I might have to actually buy some real buttermilk now!!! hehe