Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Whole Wheat Crepes... yes, it can be done!

Well.... it can be done! It is possible to make a delicious whole wheat crepe! I used to give my mom a hard time about trying to make everything "healthy" by using whole wheat (everything from cookies to crepes and beyond...) but on the whole (no pun intended :) this one turned out great!!! I'm sure you could use any old crepe recipe and just substitute whole wheat flour and add a little extra sugar (which probably defeats the purpose of using whole wheat, but we feel better about it, right?) We have Betty Crocker to thank for this one, but my mother-in-law make a great crepe batter that I have posted in the past. Anyway... here is how the miracle occurred:

Sweet Whole Wheat Crepes
1 1/2cups whole wheat flour
1tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2teaspoon baking powder
1/2teaspoon salt
2cups milk
2tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1/2teaspoon vanilla
2eggs

In medium bowl, mix flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in remaining crepe ingredients. Beat with wire whisk or hand beater until smooth.

Lightly butter 6-inch skillet; heat over medium heat until bubbly. For each crepe, pour slightly less than 1/4 cup batter into skillet; immediately rotate skillet until batter covers bottom. Cook until light brown. Run wide spatula around edge to loosen; turn and cook other side until light brown. Stack crepes, placing waxed paper between each; keep covered.

I added peanut butter and bananas to mine (which was great) but I was dreaming about natella-banana or peanut butter-strawberry, but I had to work with what I had. :)

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Jaime said...

i love crepes and love that these are whole wheat

jess and seth said...

We actually decided we prefer them whole wheat--more flavor! I love the dreamy glow your crepe has in the picture. You are quite the food photographer!