Thursday, May 21, 2009

Creamy Breakfast Muesli with Yogurt & Berries

HOORAY! I just definitely found my new favorite breakfast! I had no idea muesli could be so delicious! I already love oats, fruit, and nuts- but like this... WOW! I had it once (if you could call it muesli) on a tennis trip to Sun Valley in high school. We stayed with some families there (they were so nice to put up a bunch of high school girls!) and for breakfast, we ate uncooked oats, raisins, and nuts in a bowl of plain yogurt. I pretended it was wonderful, but I was pretty much gagging down every bite, telling her, "I bet this will give us a lot of energy for our tournament this morning." So with that kind of introduction to "muesli" you might be able to see why it has never tempted me again.... until today!!! I saw this recipe in the most recent Taste of Home and it sounded delicious to me. I didn't have strawberries, so I substituted some frozen peaches I had. Mmmmm! It was amazing to me! My little brother served his mission in Bulgaria and he said he had it every morning for breakfast- that it was really cheap there. Lucky him! I want to have it EVERY morning too... it is just my kind of breakfast (tastes good and feels good after you eat it!) There are plenty of the tastes good breakfasts that I love (Ex. sausage, bacon, biscuits and gravy, 10 pancakes, greasy hash-browns etc.) but they always leave me with an onset of heartburn and a heavy stomach. Maybe I'm just getting old and my taste-buds are changing, but this was heaven for me!

Creamy Breakfast Muesli with Yogurt & Berries
3 cups quick-cooking rolled oats (not instant) *I used the "old fashioned" and it was still good
1-1/2 cups low-fat strawberry flavored yogurt *I used peach flavored
1 cup orange juice
1/3 cup light cream
2 tbsp honey
1-1/2 cups fresh (or frozen) raspberries and diced strawberries
1 medium apple, cored and grated (they said to peel it, but I didn't and it was great)
1 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup sliced toasted almonds (optional)

In a large bowl, combine oats, yogurt, orange juice, cream and honey. Let stand 5 minutes. Gently fold in fresh fruit. Cover and refrigerate overnight before serving (that makes it a lot more creamy). Sprinkle with almonds.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Tony Payne said...

Sounds really good. Some Muesli leaves me with heartburn, and I am not sure if it's the wheat, oats or just the milk.

I think I might replace the milk with Yoghurt to see if this makes a difference, because I do love Muesli, and it's a healthy and convenient breakfast to make in the office at work - I don't feel ready to eat when I leave home.