Friday, February 27, 2009

Thai Beef Stir-Fry

I found this recipe in my Simple and Delicious magazine. It was a fun new one to try. Doug really liked it- especially with the spice. Stir-Fry is always good!

Thai Beef Stir-Fry

2 T cornstarch
3/4 cup water
3 1/2 T chunky peanut butter (I seriously have at least 20 jars of peanut butter, but none were chunky! Unbelievable!!! I just used the creamy and threw in some nuts.)
4 T soy sauce, divided
1-1/2 lbs boneless beef top sirloin steak, thinly sliced (I actually used pork loins and they were really good!)
1-1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp pepper
2 T olive oil
1 each medium green, sweet red, and yellow peppers, julienned
1 can (8 oz) bamboo shoots, drained (unfortunately- this is not one of my "on-hand" staples. I ended up kind of subbing sliced celery- it worked pretty well.)
1/2 cup julienned carrots (I used about 4 peeled carrots)
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (BOY HOWDY- I was way too liberal with those! I about killed myself off! Just go easy on it if you're not a big spicy person. My husband was thrilled, but I had to have a swig of milk between every bite. :)
Hot cooked rice

In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir in peanut bitter and 3 T soy sauce; set aside.

In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry the beef, garlic, pepper and remaining soy sauce in oil until meat is no longer pink; remove and keep warm. (I know it probably isn't the proper way, but I always just keep the meat in there with the veggies- sheer laziness I suppose.) Add the peppers, bamboo shoots, carrot and pepper flakes; stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or until tender.

Stir cornstarch mixture; add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Returned beef mixture to the pan. Serve with rice.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

jess and seth said...

Looks even better than what we had at "Taste of Asia" eating out last night!