Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Manicotti with Red Sauce


Whenever I hear "Manicotti" now, I think of comedian, Brian Regan saying it with a funny Italian Accent. If you haven't seen that one- check it out on YouTube! Pretty funny. Anyway, after all these desserts, I figured it was probably about time I post a descent meal so you don't think I'm just living off of chocolate brownies and cheesecake. :) (Not that I would have a problem with that. :) We had this last night, and it took a little bit of preparation and baking time, but it was well worth it. It turned out great, and it was a wonderful way to get my spinach in- I don't think I would eat it otherwise. Delicious!

Manicotti

Red Sauce (below)
2 (10 oz) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
2 cups small curd cottage cheese
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp pepper
14 uncooked manicotti shells
2 T grated Parmesan cheese

1. Make Red Sauce. Heat oven to 350.
2. Squeeze spinach to drain; spread on paper towels and pat dry. Mix spinach, cottage cheese, 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, the nutmeg and pepper.
3. Spread about 1/3 of the red sauce mix in ungreased 9x13 baking dish. Fill uncooked manicotti shells with spinach mixture. Place shells in sauce in dish. Pour remaining sauce evenly over the shells, covering completely. Sprinkle with 2 T Parmesan cheese.
4. Cover and bake for about 1 1/2 hours or until shells are tender. (Mine was done after just one hour).

Red Sauce (Can also use for spaghetti)
1 lb lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 cans (14 oz) whole or diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (8 oz) mushroom pieces and stems, drained
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (2 tsp dried)
1 T chopped fresh or 1 tsp dried basil
1 teaspoon salt

Cook beef, onion, garlic in skillet, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown. Add remaining ingredients and heat to boiling, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes).
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Elicia said...

I love Brian Reagan! But I couldn't find the clip, what's it called?

jess and seth said...

Yum yum yum yum yum! I like the idea of nutmeg in it. I wouldn't have thought of that. Now if only I had manicotti noodles . . . I'll put that on my grocery list.