Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sweet Slivered Almond-Mozzarella Asparagas

Well Folks.... I found it! I discovered the new BEST WAY TO EAT ASPARAGUS!!! Mmmm... So good! I was looking for a good recipe in my good old Betty Crocker standby, but I didn't have most of the ingredients, so I made some changes, and I must have done something right! Doug said, "You can make this ANYTIME!"

Sweet Slivered Almond-Mozzarella Asparagus
2 cups water
2 pounds asparagus spears
2 T butter
1 can (8 oz) sliced mushrooms, drained
1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh or 1/2 tsp dried basil leaves
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 c. shredded mozzarella (you could also use Parmesan)
1/4 cup slivered sugar coated almonds. (You could also use honey roasted peanuts, or some other nut with a tsp full or two of sugar).

1. Heat water to boiling in 12 inch skillet. Add asparagus. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook 4-6 minutes or until crisp and tender. (I didn't realize how important that is, but it really does make a difference!) Drain, set aside.
2. Melt butter in skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in mushrooms. Cook 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Stir asparagus, basil, salt and pepper into mushrooms until vegetables are coated with seasonings and asparagus is heated through. Sprinkle with cheese and nuts.

No comments: