Sunday, February 15, 2009

CREAMY Cream of Wheat with Strawberries...

Ok- so this isn't really a recipe, but I just thought I would share one of my ALL TIME favorite breakfasts with you. For as long as I can remember, I have loved starting my day with cream of wheat. I pretty much love any hot cereal, but I think this one takes the cake. I liked it so much as a child that I have a memory of begging my mom for it on a Sunday and we didn't have any. I remember kind of crying about it and throwing a fit. My grandparents were visiting, and I remember Grandpa Juan making a special try to the grocery store (breaking the Sabbath for me- we usually try to avoid shopping on Sunday :). I will NEVER forget how thrilled I was when he showed up at the front door with that lovely yellow box and that happy smiling black man- Grandpa truly won my heart that day!!! I love to put in a bit of half and half, a lot of sugar, and some sliced strawberries. SO GOOD! I always felt that if they were going to have some kind of food eating competition, and I were to have any chance at winning (I am generally a pretty slow eater... I love food so much I have to take the time to enjoy it- drives my husband crazy), I think I would do well with a cream of wheat eating competition or some kind of hot cereal. I don't imagine I will ever get the chance to test that one out though. :) (Maybe it goes back to childhood days and scarfing it down to catch the school bus.) Anyway, just wanted to share one of my favorites.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Katie said...

I haven't had cream of wheat in a while, but I think I'll have a big bowl tomorrow morning!

I just love the title of your blog, by the way :)

jess and seth said...

Mmmmmm. Did you know I used to gag when Mom would feed us hot cereals for breakfast? COW was okay, but I didn't like the 9-grain or oatmeal. I'd skip breakfast sometimes. What was I thinking? I love those things now!

And by the way, I think "scarfed" must be one of those words-by-Mom, because I'm always saying it to Lydia in the morning before school ("Scarf down that cereal--the bus is coming!") and one day she said, "What does that mean? Like a scarf? I don't get it." I realized it was another word like "vergy," or "pret-near" or "dip-in-dip-out" that we thought everyone else knew too. But it was just our sweet mother! :)

Reese said...

They all look so good i will make some soon, because i might have a new favorit food!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!