Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Perfect Brown Rice

Mom- you would be proud of me- I am making brown rice. (Just as white bread- white rice was almost not allowed in the house growing up! :) I have been meaning to try this recipe from my friend Natalie for a long time, and I finally got around to it yesterday. I was very pleased with the results. You may be looking at the amount of time it takes to cook, but don't let that scare you off! It is well worth it! This made a great batch of soft brown rice. It makes a really big batch. Natalie said she likes to freeze some of hers and use it for other meals- which I think is a great idea. The only thing I think I would add is some salt- everything is better with a bit of salt' even cookies. :)

Perfect Brown Rice

3 cups brown rice (not instant)
2 eggs
4 cups of water
1 can (about 2 cups) chicken broth (or you can just use 6 cups water, but the chicken broth adds more flavor)
1 tablespoon olive oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Saute brown rice with 2 eggs, stirring constantly over medium heat until mixture is dry. Pour into 9 X 13 baking dish. Add water, chicken broth, and oil. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Do not stir! Do not poke! Do not disturb! Just look at rice after 45 minutes and cover with foil at that time. Cook for about another 30 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed.

1 comment:

jess and seth said...

I'll have to try this--our family loves brown rice, and I find it's easier to clean up too--doesn't stick to the floor as much. We always cook ours for about an hour in the slow cooker (not crockpot--I haven't tried it in the crockpot) and we do 2 cups rice to 4 1/2 cups water on the highest setting. Otherwise I burn it. Without fail.