Monday, March 23, 2009

Home-made Egg Rolls

I had to take a picture of the mixture just because I though the colors were to beautiful. I love the color of the red cabbage!


I have never made egg rolls, so this was a fun new (messy/greasy) thing for me! :) I thought they were delicious too. It you are an egg roll fan, I think it is definitely more cost effective to make them yourself. Plus they are pretty tasty and you can put what ever you want in them really. It is kind of silly for me to be posting this recipe, because it was just the one of the wrapper package, but hey... I was trying something new. :)

Egg Rolls
1 lb ground beef, pork, chicken, or 1 pkg tofu, drained and crumbled
1 tsp minced ginger (I only had the powder and it worked)
2 cups finely chopped cabbage
1/4 lb bean sprouts (I just put in a whole 14 oz can drained)
1/2 cup shredded carrot
3 green onions, finely chopped
2 T oyster sauce (I could not find this anywhere, so I substituted clam juice.)
1 pkg large square wrappers
oil for deep-frying
sweet and sour sauce for dipping

Stir-fry meat or tofu and ginger in a wide skillet over high heat until lightly browned. Add cabbage, bean sprouts, carrot and green onions. Stir in Oyster sauce. Let mixture cool.

Use two tablespoons of the filling for each egg roll. (The package of wrappers will probably have directions for folding). Deep fry at 350 a few at a time, turning occasionally, until golden. (I don't have a deep-fryer, so I had it on about medium high just over the stove.) Drain on a paper towel. Serve warm with dipping sauce and rice.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Ashley said...

They look great! Homemade egg rolls are fun :)