Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Pizza Pizza...



This is a great recipe for pizza crust. I discovered it a while back and it really works well. I have also made it with whole wheat flour and it turns out great- sometimes I wonder why that isn't catching on because I think a whole wheat crust is delicious.

Homemade Pizza Crust
2 teaspoons yeast (not dry active)
2 cups warm water
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 cup oil
2 teaspoons salt
5 cups flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar. Add oil, salt, and flour. Mix and knead. Let rise; roll out. *I usually bake my crust for about 5-6 minutes at 350 before putting all the toppings on- then it isn't all soggy in the middle. Then load up the toppings! Here is a list of what we like:
(I just use spaghetti sauce)
pizza seasoning
sliced olives
sliced ham
pineapple
sliced and chopped green peppers
green onions, sliced
lots of cheese
...and whatever else suits your fancy!
Bake for about 20 minutes at 350 or until crust is turning golden brown (check it occasionally).
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

jess and seth said...

Is that Linda Miller's old recipe Mom used? We'll have to try it. Seth is the pizza man in the house because of his old days working at Studebaker's Pizza. He's good at flipping the dough, but my recipe he used isn't super great. We'll have to try this.

And did you know you can order whole wheat crust? I know they have it at both Papa John's and Papa Murphy's. It's really good! And the same price. _And_ it's much more filling! Although who needs to order pizza when you can make such beautiful pizzas yourself! You're making me really hungry.

Keri said...

Thanks for the recipe. I need some more whole grain recipes. If I use whole grain does it need gluten as well?

Jennifer V said...

what is not dry active yeast? I buy my yeast in the big brick. What kind is that?