Friday, March 6, 2009

Jerk Chicken Drumsticks


I don't know why they call it "jerk" chicken. That seems kind of rude to me, but this was a fun way to cook chicken. It is just a variation on Rachel Ray's "Jerk" Chicken. I added and subtracted a couple things. It was pretty good.

Jerk Chicken Drumsticks
1 red onion chopped
4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
4 scallions, green and white parts, coarsely chopped
Juice of 2 limes
3 T vinegar
1/2 cup orange juice (I used pineapple juice)
1 T paprika
1 T cumin
1 tsp chili powder
pinch of chyenne pepper
2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp thyme
1/2 cup olive oil
About 16 drumsticks (bone-in, skin-on)

Place all ingredients but the chicken in a food processor (or I have one of those blender wands and it worked really well in a bowl) and pulse to combine. Should make a thick paste.

Season chicken with salt and pepper and place on a roasting pan or rack with dripping pan. Cover with paste by spooning mixture over chicken and turning so both sides are covered. Bake at 400 for 45 minutes to an hour. (Mine wasn't done at 45 so you might want to leave it in a little longer.) Half way through, spoon more paste mixture over and turn the chicken.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Keri said...

I always wanted to make Jerk Chicken but all the recipes I have call for Jerk seasoning which I had a hard time finding. Thanks for providing your recipe!

jess and seth said...

Mmmm! I'll have to pass this one on to Brittney (Vance's wife). Vance loved jerk chicken--they eat it all the time in Jamaica. I think that's where it came from.