Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Slow-Cooked Loaded Vegetable Pork Stew

This is my version of another good one I found in Taste of Home. (A little simplified.) They used beef, and I was just using what I had, so sadly I didn't have the squash or cabbage, which I think both would be great. I also thougth zucchini would be really good in it.

Loaded Vegetable Pork Stew
8 bacon strips, diced
2-3 pork pork loin chops, sliced into 1 in cubes
1 large onion, diced
6 medium carrots, peeled and caut into 1 in pieces
2 cans whole tomatoes
4-6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 cups cubed peeled butternit squash
2 medium green bell peppers, chopped
2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp celery salt
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans of beef broth or about 3-4 cups of water and one package of beef stew seasoning mix
6 cups chopped cabbage
1/2 tsp pepper
salt to taste

In a large skillet, cook bacon, pork and onion. (Not crispy or even completely cooked through, just closed to cooked through.) Pour contents into crockpot. (You don't have to cook the pork, but it sped up the process a lot. If you don't, you may want to add some cooking time.)

In a crockpot or slow-cooker, combine all other ingredients. Stir and cook on high for 3-5 hours (until veggies are done) or low 8 hours.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Joie de vivre said...

I love Taste of Home recipes! Just down home, stick to your ribs, easy cooking, food.