Thursday, March 12, 2009

Orecchiette with Bacon & Tomatoes

A few years back, my little sister got me this cool pasta cook book, and every time I open it, I find some new recipe that is so fun. It is just such a tiny cookbook that I sometime forget I have it. So I'm always pleasantly surprised when I come across it. I could not for the life of me find orecchiette noodles... they look so cool, but these are good old "large shells" and I'm sure any pasta would work great. This was a really tasty, fast dish. In the original recipe, they blanch and chop about 2 lbs of fresh tomatoes (which I think would make it really flavorful and delicious when tomatoes are in season and cheap abundance :) but I just used two cans of diced tomatoes as a substitute and it sure make things go fast. All in all, I think you'll enjoy this one.

Italian Orecchiette with Bacon & Tomatoes
2 can diced tomatoes
6 (or more) slices smoked bacon, chopped or cut into 1 inch pieces
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1-2 tsp dried oregano (4 fresh sprigs, finely chopped)
4 cups dried orecchiette (or other pasta)
1 T olive oil
salt and pepper
Parmesan

Fry bacon onion and garlic over medium heat until it starts to get crispy. Add tomatoes and oregano. Simmer for 10-12 minutes. Meanwhile, bring a pan on salted water to boil. Add noodles and a bit of olive oil. Cook and Drain. Pour noodle minute into sauce mixture and stir until pasta is coated. Serve with cheese.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

jess and seth said...

I think you should keep the name, even if you used shell noodles. It sounds so gourmet! And it looks scrumptioius.

Mrs.D said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! That pasta looks really good, I love a big bowl of pasta!

Joie de vivre said...

Yum, yum! I've never been able to find Orecchiette locally, but have always been intrigued by the "little ear" name.

Which book inspired this dish? I am addicted to cookbooks and always love finding a new one to peruse!