Sunday, September 15, 2013

63 Kid-Friendly Healthy Snacks


"Mom, I'm hungry!  I want a snack!"  

If you've got little ones, you probably just recently heard those words, and unless you are "The Model Mother", you are probably just about to reach for the nearest cheap, sugar-filled granola bar or the overprice, under-nourishing gold-fish crackers, but... STOP... WAIT... DON'T!!!  
Here, I have compiled a list of my favorite PRACTICAL Kid-Friendly Snacks that I prepared for my little crew over the summer (yes, this has been a long time in the making) that we both liked, because they were tasty, easy to prepare, used things I had on hand, and were fairly balanced and nutritional.  So before your toss them a fruit snack packet loaded with high-fructose corn syrup, consider tossing them a REAL fruit snack, or something fun on this list.
*Please know that I'm not saying your a wicked mother if you give your kids fruit snacks or goldfish.  I would be a hypocrite if I were. :)  I'm only "nudging" you and the kids to branch out and discover something on this list that might be just about as easy to prepare and much more satisfying.
Also, these were just the ones that came to mind.  If you can think of more good ones, by all means, add them in the comments!  I'm always open to new great ideas.

Happy Snacking!
-Lyd

63 Kid-Friendly Healthy Snacks

  • Popcorn (MY ALL-TIME FAVORITE!)
  • Apple Slices & Peanut Butter (My 2nd Favorite!)
  • Sliced Veggies (i.e. carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, or bell peppers) & Ranch Dip
  • String Cheese & Tomato Juice
  • Trail Mix (Nuts, raisins, mini-marshmallows, chocolate chips etc.)
  • Ants on a Log (Celery, Spread Peanut Butter, and Raisins)
  • Healthy Granola Bar (LARABAR's are my latest favorite.  The simple, healthy ingredient list with astound you!)
  • Nuts & Raisins
  • Fruit & Yogurt
  • Yogurt & Granola (or for quick Good Morning Granola)
  • Apple Sauce & Cheese Slices
  • Cottage cheese & Fruit or Tomato Slices
  • Melon
  • Whole Wheat Pitas & Hummus
  • Hard Boiled Egg & Slice of Toast
  • Kale Chips
  • Sliced Wraps (tortilla, cream cheese spread, ham slice & sprouts) (Julia's Wraps)
  • Muffin Tray Sample Plate (Put whatever you have on hand in the muffin cups... kids love it!)
  • Snack Kabobs (skewer whatever you have on hand)
  • Frozen Peas
  • Frozen Grapes
  • Almonds & Fruit
  • Smoothie (The Green Smoothie from Bliss From Scratch)
  • Pickles
  • Peanut Butter Banana Toast (Monkey-Bee Sandwiches)
  • Canned Fruit
  • Sweet Potato Chips
  • Healthy Muffin (Three Grain Muffin)
  • Dried Fruit (Mango or Apricots)
  • Ricotta w/Fruit
  • Deli Meat Slice & Fruit
  • Edamame
  • Tuna (w/ a tiny put of mayo or plain yogurt and salt) & Crackers
  • Grapefruit w/a bit of salt or sugar (I still can't abide this, but for whatever reason my kids love it. :)
  • Oatmeal & Fruit
  • Yogurt & Graham Cracker (I'm LOVING Greek Yogurt lately... so creamy and more protein)
  • Mini Pizza (English Muffin, sauce, & pepperoni, Microwave)
  • Juice Ice-Cubes
  • Chips & Salsa
  • Whole Wheat Breadsticks & Tomato Sauce for dipping
  • Pudding (Homemade Dairy-Free Chocolate Pudding)
  • Wimbledon Strawberries (strawberries, sour cream or plain yogurt, and brown sugar)
  • Chocolate Slim Fast Drink w/Banana
  • Nut Mix
  • Whole Carrot
  • Cheesy Toast
  • Cheese Quesidilla Slice
  • Fruit Cups
  • Warm Refried Beans & Tortilla Chips
  • Creamy Fruit (Sliced Fruit drizzled kefir) (*FYI Kefir was done wonders for my digestive systems... not to give too much info. :) It's loaded with pro-biotics... super good for you!  I put it in my smoothies every morning. I use The Greek Gods brand in the dairy section at Winco.  It's about $3.00 per quart. Worth every penny!)
  • Sliced Bananas, Milk, & Honey (My dad used to give this to me for a bed-night-snack :)
  • Sliced Fruit w/drizzled honey
  • Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich slices
  • Peanut Butter & Honey Sandwich Slices
  • Banana Chips
  • Cheese Chips (cheese melted over chips)
  • Crackers & Cheese
  • Steamy Brown Rice w/Parmesan Cheese and salt
  • Tomato slices w/mozzerella cheese slices
  • Cinnamon Baked Apples (Microwave 2-3 minutes)
  • Toast w/Ricotta and Strawberries
  • Apple Sandwiches
  • Healthy Cookies (Giant Breakfast Cookies)  
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Momma Kaye said...

What a great post, Lydia! I'll use it for the grandkids!

Momma Kaye said...

What a great post, Lydia! I'll use it for the grandkids!