Saturday, April 3, 2010

Three-Grain Muffins

I don't think it is possible to top Kathleen's Toasted Millet Banana Muffins, but these were still really good. I made some substitutions that worked well. Say good-bye to the last of my buttermilk. I will miss you... :)

Lyd's Tip: Let the kids help- they can crunch up the shredded wheat. (In our case we used frosted mini-wheats. Put it in a zip-lock, give the a masher, and let them go to town. :)

Three-Grain Muffins (Taste of Home)
2 cups quick-cooking oats
2 cups crushed Shredded Wheat (about 4 large) (I crunched up frosted mini-wheats)
2 cups All-Bran (I didn't have much bran left, so I subbed flax seed flour. It is so good for you and it worked perfectly.)
4 cups buttermilk
1 cup boiling water
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
5 cups all-purpose flour
5 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

In a large bowl, combine oats, Shredded Wheat and bran. Add buttermilk, water, oil and eggs; stir for 1 minute. Stir in brown sugar. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to the cereal mixture until blended.
Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 4 dozen.

Editor's Note: Muffin batter can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 166 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 218 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Sook said...

Ooh the muffin looks really good! I bet it's delicious and healthy.

jess and seth said...

AND we will be making these tomorrow--we wanted to make muffins, and I have some cardboard raisin bran from Helping Hands I need to use up. And where was this recipe when I got 6 bags of Shredded Wheat from the aforementioned place? Months and months of shredded wheat--every morning I would have "Never Eat Shredded Wheat" running through my head.