Saturday, April 10, 2010

Strawberry Pork Chops

RIPE STRAWBERRIES, RIPE... (If you were here, you would have heard me singing that at the top of my lungs (from the musical of Oliver) and then on to "Who will buy my sweet red roses, two blooms for a penny..." ANYWAY... Let's hear it for strawberries! I love Spring, and I love when strawberries become somewhat affordable. I saw this recipe, and knew this was a MUST TRY! I was not disappointed. The pork was sensational!!! Be careful not to overcook the strawberries- they get mushy fast!

Lyd's Tip: You totally have "raspberry vinaigrette" hanging around, right. (Please sense my sarcasm, and sorry to offend if you do.) Oh, not one of you staples. :) Never fear, here is my trick... you probably have raspberry jam... or some kind of preserve (nod you head, yes) Ok, good. Just substitute about 1/3-1/2 cup of jam, 1/4 cup cider vinegar, and about 1/4 cup water for diluting. Whisk well, an vwallah... no fancy vinaigrette... NO PROBLEMO! :)

Strawberry Pork Chops (Taste of Home)
3/4 cup raspberry vinaigrette
2 tablespoons chopped green onion
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
1/2 to 1 teaspoon pepper
4 bone-in pork loin chops (1 inch thick and 6 ounces each)
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 cups sliced fresh strawberries (1/4-inch slices)

In a small bowl, combine the vinaigrette, onion, brown sugar, paprika and Worcestershire sauce; set aside. Combine rosemary and pepper; rub over both sides of pork chops.
In a large skillet, cook chops in oil over medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until browned. Pour vinaigrette mixture over meat; cook 3-4 minutes longer or until pork juices run clear.
Remove chops and keep warm. Add strawberries to the cooking juices and toss to coat; serve with pork chops. Yield: 4 servings.

Nutrition Facts: 1 pork chop with 2 tablespoons sauce (prepared with fat-free raspberry vinaigrette) equals 365 calories, 18 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 83 mg cholesterol, 259 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 28 g protein.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

jess and seth said...

Who will buy this wonderful morning? I really wish I had checked this out about 3 hours ago, because I cooked up my pork chops, but I have all the other ingredients and this would have been divine! Grrrr. We'll try it again, though.