Monday, April 12, 2010

Let Them Eat Cake... lots and lots of it...


Here is "My Take On Cake"-- I DON'T CARE WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE! IT IS ALL ABOUT THE TASTE! (I think I mentioned that with the dinosaur cake.) Now, this doesn't mean I don't appreciate a good cake decorator! Power to you! I think it is awesome, it is just a talent I never acquired. I remember decorating cupcakes for mutual and Merry Miss activity day and I bombed it- I just couldn't make a leaf or flower to save my life. I'm left handed and I like to blame it on that, but I think it goes deeper... something in my genes perhaps? I don't know... but I have accepted it, and I usually feel like the pretty cakes taste terrible anyway-- the chiffon icing makes me gag and sometime the center isn't even cake anyway, right? I don't know... I guess my point is- a good looking cake can enhance the cake, but the flavor IS THE CAKE... and that is what I want. "Let them eat cake!" That being said, I made a yummy Strawberry cake from scratch. One of my first, I'm ashamed to admit (especially after my "sh'pill" above) Those darn Betty Crocker mixes are just so easy! Throw in an egg and some oil and your good to go. I've decided the difference is well worth it, however the cake mix has it's place if you can disguise it. :) This was a yummy cake for my daughter's b-day. (I was in labor with her on my birthday. Three of us have birthday's within a week... I'm just coming out of "birthday central" and maybe that is why I am feeling like such an opinionated expert on cakes today. :) Anyway- without any further adieu, here is a good one to try if you want a "REAL" cake. :)

Chocolate-Covered Strawberries Cake (Taste of Home)
2/3 cup butter, softened
1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
4 egg whites
1 cup sliced fresh strawberries

FROSTING:
(I halved this recipe, and I'm glad I did! I had more then enough! They stacked their cake, so I'm sure that takes more, but this will make a ton, just so you know.)
7-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1-1/2 cups baking cocoa
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
8 whole fresh strawberries

In a large bowl, cream butter and 1-1/4 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
In a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold into batter. Fold in strawberries.
Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
For frosting, in a large bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and cocoa. Beat in butter and milk until smooth. Beat in vanilla.
Spread frosting over bottom cake layer; top with sliced strawberries. Top with remaining cake layer; frost top and sides of cake. Dip whole strawberries into frosting; arrange around and on top of cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 servings.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

jess and seth said...

7 1/2 cups of confectioners sugar. I think I have used that much powdered sugar over the course of . . . maybe ten years? Maybe that's why it tastes stale every time we have rolos.

But AMEN sister to everything you said about cake! Do you remember helping at Shaney's wedding and almost throwing up that horrible white cake with blue flowers? GAG me with a SPOON. I think your cake looks divine, and although I probably won't make it for a while (the next b-day is in June, and I'll probably make myself a nice batch of cookies . . .), it looks good enough to eat. ("Tastes good too, so they tell me." "Got any ketchup, Patty?" "My stew can stand on its own feet.")