Thursday, April 1, 2010

Asparagus Fettuccine


Yippy for asparagus! I love when it comes into season. I can remember my mom sending us out to hunt the ditch-banks for it when I was little. It is a lot harder to find these days and quite a bit more expensive, so I'm always excited when it's spring and asparagus goes on sale! :) I don't think it get's much easier than this one, and it seems like something that you might have slaved over. I threw in some mushrooms and green onions, but I was so proud of myself making this a "meatless meal" and we were all totally satisfied! (Start to finish, I think I had this on the table in about 15 minutes. This was a quick one! Love that!)

Asparagus Fettuccine
(Taste of Home)
4 ounces uncooked fettuccine (I didn't have fettuccine, so I used whole wheat spagetti)
1/2 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1/4 cup chopped onion (I used green onions)
I added about a pound of fresh sliced onions, and I would totally recommend it! Made a good combo!
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon butter
2 ounces cream cheese, cubed
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Cook fettuccine according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the asparagus, onion and garlic in butter until tender. (It doesn't say it here, but I would recommend "blanching" asparagus slightly first, or at least putting a lid on so it steams, asparagus it just to thick to really saute. At least that is what I have found- you always still have a tough middle.)
Add the remaining ingredients. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is blended. Drain fettuccine; toss with asparagus mixture. Yield: 2 servings.

Nutrition Facts: 1-1/4 cups (prepared with 2% milk) equals 396 calories, 17 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 388 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 17 g protein.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: