Friday, February 12, 2010

Honey Nut Granola with Dried Fruit


I made homemade granola (also a really good step-by-step recipe) a while back, and I totally forgot how much I love it! It is such a great way to get in the whole grains! Every morning this week I have been enjoying this great mix with a bit of yogurt on top. I have also been snitching hand-fulls every once in a while for a quick, healthy snack. I found it in the Cooking Club magazine. I love that you can throw what you have into the mix. Granola is SO EASY to make and you can end up paying a fortune for whole grain cold cereals, especially when they include fruit. Give this a try! Sometimes is just feels good to be "chewing"... there is just something satisfying about that... like you're getting your money's worth. :)

Honey Nut Granola with Dried Fruit
3 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup slivered almonds, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup shelled sunflower seeds
1/2 cup flax seeds, preferably golden
1/2 cup sesame seeds
(I also included about 1/4 cup millet)
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup honey
6 T olive oil
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup dried cranberries
2/3 cup golden raisins (which are so good, but I only had the red)
2/3 cup chopped dried apricots

1. Heat oven to 350, combine oats, almonds, sunflower seeds, flax, sesame seeds and cocnit in large bowl.

2. Heat honey, oil, brown sugar, and vanilla and salt in small saucepan over medium-low to medium heat 5 minutes or until sugar is melted and mixture is well-blended, stirring occasionally. Stir into oat mixture until moistened; spread on parchment paper-lined rimmed baking sheet.

3. Bake 20 minutes or until light golden brown, stirring once halfway through. Cool completely in pan on wire rack, about 1 hour ( mixture will crisp as it cools.

4. Break into bite-size chunks; stir in dried fruit. (Granola can be made 1 week ahead. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.) (Mine has stored just fine for 2 or more weeks.)
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

jess and seth said...

I love that you put flax seed in it. It has such a good flavor. I'm going to have to try this one.