Sunday, February 21, 2010

Opened-Faced Texas Burgers


This is another one I found in this last edition on Simple and Delicious. I love that magazine- I find so many fun things to try! We liked this twist on a hamburger, and I used the whole-wheat thin sandwich bun rather then the Texas Toast (although I bet that would be delicious! I just can't handle the heavy grease.) to give it a healthier kick. I also made them a little smaller and added just a bit more meat to make it stretch for our family of five. I ended up making 8 burgers total, and I grilled them up on "George"- there is something so satisfying about seeing all that grease drain and I knowing I don't have to eat it! :)

Opened-Faced Texas Burgers
  • 2 tablespoons chopped onion
  • 1 small garlic clove, minced
  • 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 2/3 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, divided
  • 2/3 pound ground beef
  • 2 slices frozen garlic Texas toast
  • 1/2 cup tomato sauce
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon A.1. steak sauce
  • In a large bowl, combine the onion, garlic, thyme and 1/2 cup cheese. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into two oval patties.
  • In a large skillet, cook burgers over medium heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until meat is no longer pink. Meanwhile, prepare Texas toast according to package directions.
  • Drain burgers; set aside and keep warm. Add the tomato sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and steak sauce to the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Return burgers to skillet; turn to coat. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Serve burgers on toast. Yield: 2 servings.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: