Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Meatless Citrus-Corn Tacos


The receptionist at my Doctor's office know me by name. I get allergy shots just about every week, but one of the reasons they know me so well is because I frequently ask them to copy a recipe for me. (That is where I find a lot of my new recipes!) They are so nice about it! I'm just going to warn you now... if you are one of those punks who rip recipes out of the Doctor's office magazines... you will deal with my full wrath!!! HOW DARE YOU! :) I can't tell you how many times I have been sitting there searching through the magazine for a recipe that is no longer included! Now, I totally understand your desire to have the recipe, but resist the urge to rip it out and just ask for a copy... please... for my sake! Needless to say, this is a winner I found it in the Doctor's magazine, Diabetic Living. I used my meatballs for the meat substitute- I'm not sure that's what they had in mind, but it worked out great for me. These were fast, easy and delicious. Doug said it reminded him of Bajios. We both really liked the citrus splash! I love quick stove top recipes!

Meatless Citrus-Corn Tacos
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
1 tsp finely shredded lime peel
2 T lime juice
1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (I'm a wimp and I left it out.)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
2 tsp cooking oil
1 medium red sweet pepper, cut into thin strips
1 12-ounce package frozen cooked and crumbled ground meat substitute (soy protien) (I know this might sound weird, but I had frozen some of the Easy Party Meatballs, and it was so slick to just crumble them up use them. It took no time!)
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
8 6-inch corn tortillas
1/2 cup light sour cream

1 For sauce:In a small bowl, combine orange juice, cilantro, lime peel, lime juice, jalapeno pepper, parlice, cornstarch, 1/8 tsp salt, and 1/8 teaspoon. set aside.
2. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sweet pepper strips; cook and stir until crisp-tender. Remove peppers from skillet.
3. Add ground meat substitute crumbles to skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, 3 to 4 minutes or until heated through. Stir in corn. Stir sauce; ass to skillet. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Return sweet pepper strips to skillet; stir to combine.
4. Wrap tortillas in microwave-safe paper towels. Microwave on 100 percent power 45 to 60 seconds or until warm. Divide the pepper mixture evenly among tortillas and top with sour cream. Fold the tortilla over the filling and serve.

361 calories per serving

No comments: