Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Lamb Meatballs with Cilantro Raita


My good friend Melinda shared some lamb meat with me. I was so excited, because there are a few recipes I have been wanting to try, but where do you get lamb meat if you don't have a good friend to give it to you? :) And why is it so fun to say "lamburger"? I have been saying it every day since. Anyway- thanks Melinda- I have had fun exploring new "sheepish" posibilites. (And sorry to my little sister who LOVES lambs. She would never forgive me for posting this one. :) May I also note that the meatballs were very good, but I wouldn't bother making the "raita" dip- I thought it was terrible! It was Ba-a-a-a-ad. :) Let's face it- plain yogurt as a dominant ingredient just can't fly- at least not in my book.

Lamb Meatballs with Cilantro Raita
olive oil
1 small yellow onion, minced
ground lamb, 1 lb
2 eggs lightly beaten
1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley minced
1 T dried breadcrumbs
1 tsp ground cumin
4 large cloves garlic, minced
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 cup Plain yogurt
1 T Fresh cilantro, finely chopped

1. Preheat the oven to broil. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray lightly with cooking pray. In a frying pan over medium low heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft about 5 minutes. transfer the onion to a large bowl and add the lamb, eggs, parsley, bread crumbs, cumin, three-fourths of the garlic, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper. Using your hands, combine the ingredients. From the mixture into a walnut-sized balls rolling them lightly between your palms. Place on the prepared baking sheet.

2. Broil the meatballs, turning once until golden brown and crispy, 8-10 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, cilantro, remaining garlic, and 1/4 tsp salt. Secure each meatball with a toothpick, place on a platter, and serve alongside the raita.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

jess and seth said...

Passover week in seminary--the one and only time I have ever tasted lamb. Lucky you! But it does look good. I agree on the plain-yogurt-main-ingredient point. Never works. I've destroyed some good dishes that way.