Sunday, September 8, 2013

Fresh Fruit Tart


Yes- I know it screams USA all the way! and I bet your are saying to yourself, "where was this post for our 4th of July picnic?"  The answer... it was collecting digital dust in the "Food 2013" folder of my desktop, just waiting for me to blog it.  Life has been busy, and I'm running a bit late on posts.  So lets just pretend it's Independence Day and you're thoroughly impressed with my foodie display of patriotism, shall we? :)
So here is a lovely Fruit Tart in memory of the summer days that are all but gone.
I found this one on my cute Sis-in-law, Amy's blog.  It looked too good to pass up.  Maybe it was also because of the cute picture of my precious niece on the post.  I LOVED the crust.  It was SO EASY!  I recently got a food processor and it was a great easy crust recipe, that also tasted good.  I wasn't as crazy about the filling, and I think that was probably a lot my fault.  Hers looked lovely, but I just couldn't get my cream to whip and the cold made the butter chunk up and it was just kind of a runny, fatty mess.  But... it still tasted good and the fresh fruit make just about anything taste good.  It was a real treat... And a pretty one to boot!
Thanks for the recipe, Amy!

Fresh Fruit Tart
Tart Crust:
1/2 C. powdered sugar
1 1/2 C. flour
1 1/2 sticks of butter (3/4 C.)

Filling:
1 (8 oz.) package of cream cheese
1/4 C. brown sugar
1 C. whipping cream
1/2 C. powdered sugar
zest of about half and orange (add more if you want it to be more citrusy)

Topping:
strawberries
raspberries
black berries
fresh pineapple
kiwi
any other kind of fruit you would like (blueberries, peaches, oranges, pears, apples, mango, plums, apricots, etc).

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine the crust ingredients in a food processor until it starts to ball up. Now, just use your fingers to press into a 12 inch tart pan with a removable bottom. If the crust seems a little thick, feel free to use a little bit less of the dough. I have actually halved the recipe before and made a thinner crust. Both ways are good! This crust is sweet and flaky and tasty, so thick or thin is delicious. 
2. Bake for about 12 minutes or until the crust is ever so lightly browned. It may take just a little longer, so just watch it. Let it cool completely before removing it from the pan. 
3. Beat together the cream cheese and brown sugar. Separately beat the whipping cream and powdered sugar together until medium peaks form and you have a nice whipped cream. Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture until combined. Fold in the orange zest. 
4. Once the crust is cool, top it with the cream topping. Slice up all the fruit and throw it on top. Just throw it on or make a pretty design with it. You will want to eat this fairly soon after you top it. 
 
 
Posted by Picasa

No comments: