Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Homemade Dairy-Free Chocolate Pudding


Is is possible for pudding to be yummy AND dairy-free?  A resounding YES!  Sweet and silky-smooth.  I was surprised by how tasty this was, and so easy to make.  Rice and flax milk have been my favorites dairy alternatives so far.  I'm certainly not dairy-free (all you have to do is scroll down a bit and that will become obvious) but I have really cut back and I think my body is happier.  (I do take calcium and vitamin D supplements though- just had to add that for my mom. :)
Homemade Dairy-Free Chocolate Pudding (myplasticfreelife.com)
3 T Cornstarch
2 T water
1/3 cup honey (I may or may not have been a bit liberal with the honey. :)
1/3 cup cocoa
pinch of salt
2 cups plain sweet almond milk (I used vanilla flavored rice milk and it was perfect.  I'm sure you could use other dairy substitutes, even water if you don't have any.)
1 tsp vanilla
(I mixed in almonds and it was delicious!)

In a small cup, stir and dissolve cornstarch and water.  Set aside.
In saucepan combine cocoa and salt.  Whisk in milk, honey, and cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly until it thickens.
Remove from heat and refrigerate.  (Or just eat it warm- am I the only one that rarely chills mine?  Warm pudding is just happy comfort to me.  "Some like it hot, some like it cold." :)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: