Thursday, March 1, 2012

Brats in a Bun


It's my Dad's birthday, so it seems appropriate to post something "manly" that reminds me of he and my brothers.  I remember the boys heating up a "Polish-dog" or "brats" many a time.  When all the boys were home, Dad would get those really big economy packs, and I never believed they would get through them, but amazingly enough, they did.  Can you tell that this is something that I've never quite acquired a taste for?  Hot dogs and polish sausages rarely excite me.  Mr. Stumme and A.P. History ruined hot-dogs for me after the class reading "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair just before a school lunch of hot-dogs, so I felt I was being generous to give them a second chance.  I bought a package on sale and gave it my best shot, and.... not too bad.  I could almost join in with the big boys if it tasted like this... almost. :)
Happy Birthday Dad!

Brats in a Bun (by Lyd)
1 onion, roughly chopped
1-2 garlic cloves minced
1 T olive oil
1 tsp vinegar
2 T apple juice
1 package of brats
toasted buns

Pull out "George" or if you have a real grill, use it. :)  Throw on the brats (and no, I'm not recommending the naughty children, however tempting it may be, abstain.) Cook about 7-10 minutes until cooked through.  Meanwhile, saute onion and garlic in oil until transparent.  Add vinegar and apple juice and simmer for a minute or two.  Toast your buns (not yours, the bread buns, silly!)  Slop it all together on a bun and eat it like a man.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: