Saturday, December 5, 2009

Brown Sugar-Glazed Sweet Potato Wedges

My sister-in-law sent me this delicious recipe and I gave it a try. Either you like yams or you don't. (But you might just kind yourself "liking" after you try this recipe.) I love candied yams-- I have to say that they are one of my very favorite parts of Thanksgiving! We usually make my Grandma Lou's special recipe- lots of sugar and butter. They are so good! But this was delicious! Not too sweet and I like what the ginger and nutmeg added. It was fun to try baking them instead of boiling. I think I'll defitely try this one again!

Brown Sugar-Glazed Sweet Potato Wedges

Make this tasty side dish up to two days ahead, and store, covered, in the refrigerator. Reheat at 350°, covered, for 20 minutes or until heated through; if desired, finish the dish under the broiler to recrisp the edges of the potato.

Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 2/3 cup)

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
  • 4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled, cut in half crosswise, and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
  • Cooking spray

Preparation

Preheat oven to 400°.

Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add sugar, water, salt, nutmeg, ginger, and cinnamon; bring to a simmer. Cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Discard cinnamon stick. Combine sugar mixture and potato wedges in a large bowl; toss well to coat. Arrange potato mixture on a large jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 40 minutes or until tender, stirring after 20 minutes.

No comments: