Saturday, December 5, 2009

Black Bean Soup

I found this recipe in Family Circle. Mine turned out really thick- I think I would dilute it a bit more, but it had a really good flavor!

Black Bean Soup
Heat 2 T oil in 5-quart stockpot over medium heat. Add 2 carrots, peeled and diced, 2 ribs celery trimmed and diced, 1 medium diced onion and 4 cloves minced garlic. Cook, over medium heat, for 5 minutes. Once fragrant and slightly softened, add two 14-ounce cans vegetable broth, 1 envelope ham flavoring (I used a ham-hock and boiled it in with it. I also added a bit of beef bullion.), 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, 2 cups water and 6 cups soaked and cooked black beans. (One pound bag yields 6 cups when cooked.) Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Puree soup in batches; serve warm, with sour cream, if desired.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: