Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Fresh Pea Soup

I found this recipe by Ina Garten while I was waiting in the Dentist office, and it looks so good that I had the receptionist copy the recipe for me so that I could try it out. I really liked the mint in it. You can also use dried split peas and just adjust the recipe to fit- that is what I ended up doing, so mine doesn't look as pureed.

Fresh Pea Soup
2 T unsalted butter
2 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts (2 leeks)
1 cup chopped yellow onion
4 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
5 cups freshly shelled peas or 2 packages frozen peas
2/3 cup chopped fresh mint leaves, loosely packed
2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup creme
1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
Garlic Croutons, for serving

1. Heat butter in a large saucepan, add the leeks and onions and cook over medium-low heat for 5 to 10 minutes, until onion is tender. Add the chicken stock, increase heat to high, and bring to a boil. Add the peas and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until peas are tender. (Frozen peas will only take 3 minutes.) Remove from heat; add the mint, salt, and pepper.
2. Puree soup in batches; Place 1 cup of soup in a blender, place lid on top, and puree on low speed. Whisk in creme and chives and taste for seasoning. Serve hot with croutons. Makes 6 servings.

No comments: