Thursday, July 10, 2008

Chicken Tortilla Soup

I absolutely love Crockpot's-- I love how you can just throw everything in and have it always turn out. I love having a warm meal, ready to eat and you only had to take about 5-10 minutes of prep-time that morning. They are the best! And on top of that—I love soup! J This is a recipe I made up last night after looking at a few different versions. It turned out really good! *Add some "heat" if you like that- any kind of pepper would be good in this- it's just something I don't handle very well.

Chicken Torilla Soup (Crockpot or stove top)

1 cup cooked shredded chicken

1 can black beans (undrained)

1 can kidney beans (undrained)

1 can diced or stewed tomatoes

1 cup salsa (homemade is best, but either works)

1 diced green bell pepper

½ cup chopped fresh cilantro

1 cup grated cheese (I used mozzarella, but any kind would work)

Sour cream, grated cheese, and tortilla chips for serving

*Crockpot: Combine all ingredients in Crockpot and stir together, except sour cream and a bit of grated cheese for the serving. Cook on low 3-4 hours or high for 2.

*Stove top: Combine all ingredients into large pot, simmer on medium heat for about 20-30 minutes, or until heated through.

Also- you can use more beans if you want the soup to go further and refried beans if you want it thicker.

No comments: