Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Fish n' Chips



I'm not crazy about fish. I think it goes back to my grade school days when mom made fish patties for breakfast and we all went to school smelling like stinky fish. Every single one of us got made fun of and had a rotten day; my little sister even went home "sick". We laugh about it now, but was pretty traumatizing, so by all means, don't make this for breakfast. (Who does that anyway? I LOVE my mom!) But I really do enjoy a good very boneless fish every once in a while. I was excited to come across this "fool-proof" recipe. It was tasty, too! (I don't think the picture does it justice, and I think Doug is beginning to be weirded out by how I keep taking pictures of all our food. :)

Parmesan Fish Baked
(I used tilipia, but cod would be really good.)

At least 4 fillets (4 ounces each)
2/3 cup mayo
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

*Place fillets in an 8 inch square baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. In a small bowl, combine the mayo, cheese, onions, and Worcestershire. Spoon and spread over fillets. Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

"Chips" or homemade French-fries
I am sure there is a fancier way to do this, but I just cut potatoes into thin wedges, heat just under a cup of oil in a pot, on medium high. When it is warm I carefully drop them in, let them sizzle for about 2-3 minutes. Put them on a paper towel covered plate and sprinkle them with salt and season salt. (This should not me an everyone day of the week meal. :) Pretty greasy, but it would seem that yummy things usually are. :)
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Okay, after looking at all of your daring recipes.. you have inspired me. I'm going to try a few and I'll let you know how it goes! I love the variety.

jess and seth said...

Lou--yum! You truly are a gourmet. And here's an idea for fast & easy and non-messy fries (but they're a litle softer, I'm afraid). I slice them the same, spray them lightly with cooking oil (canola kind), sprinkle paprika & salt, or whatever seasonings, then cover the pan with plastic wrap & put it in the microwave for about 4 minutes per potato. My microwave has a potato setting, so I just punch in however many potatoes I sliced & it cooks them just right. They're a little better for you, although they have a different texture from real fries.