Thursday, July 24, 2008

AMAZING Shredded Chicken Tostadas




Ok... so this TOPPED anything I have ever been served at a Mexican restraunt! It was amazing! I don't mean to brag so much, but you really do need to give this one a try if you like Mexican food! It was pretty easy, but it was like 5 recipes in one, so it sounds a lot more complicated than it is. Also, I promise I do try to make my recipes a lot more clear than this one turned out to be. Sorry if it gets confusing, but I hope you will still give it a shot! Here is what I did...

AMAZING Shredded Chicken Tostadas:
Fried Corn Tortilla Shells (about 10)
Guacamole
Beans
Shredded Chicken
Salsa
Spanish Rice
A bit of cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and Lime Zest on top
*Layer tortilla, beans and Spanish rice three times, and top with the remaining ingredients.

This is kind of a modge podge, but bare with me... it will be worth it!
First of all, I was looking on a site I really like and "The Pioneer Women" gives a really great step by step instruction on how to deep fry your corn flour tortillas at: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/01/leftover_brisket_make_tostadas/
(It is also a great recipe, but we're going to do things a little differently) so...

1. deep fry your tortillas first.
2. make guagamole (you can do it however you dare well please :) but I have to admit I cheated a little bit and used a guacamole seasoning packet and two alvacadoes. (Shhhh... don't tell!) :)
3. Heat up some beans is a pinch of garlic salt. I used two cans of kidney and one can of pinto beans, but any beans will do- refried or black beans would probably be best, but I was all out. :)
4. Shedded chicken. You can use a can, grill it, or boil it... whatever floats your "tostada" boat, but her is what I do. Chicken is so expensive now days, so I like to stock up when it is on sale. Last week it was .98 per lb. for the bone it chicken breast- I don't like that as much as the boneless, but its cheap and really flavorful in the crockpot. I just put the whole package in the crockpot and let it simmer on low all day in about 1 cup of Italian Dressing (that gives it a good flavor.) After is has cooked, I de-bone, take of the skins, and shred it. Then I can use all that chicken to make tons of other dishes, like chicken salad, chicken noodle soup, even just in sandwiches. So anyway, there is my "cheap chicken" secret! :)
5. Make some salsa.... ok, I know this is starting to sound a little complicated, but again you can do it however you want... even use that store-bought bottle from the fridge. This is what I did:

Salsa:

1/2 red bell pepper diced
1/2 green bell pepper diced
4 red tomatoes diced
2 tablespoons cilantro
1 salsa seasoning packet.... I KNOW! I have really been cheating today, but it gave it such a good flavor. It was my first time trying these packets, and I have to admit, they were worth it! Shame on me! :)
*Stir it up and refridgerate

6. I have to admit this recipe is not quite complete because my mom made some incredible Spanish Rice, but she is just not a recipe gal- she can whip just about anything up from her head, but I'll have to find out what she did because it added so much and it was delicious! So the Spanish Rice recipe is coming soon.... If you can't wait, I think plain rice would suffice, or just do without. :)

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Okay so I checked out your blog, and your food looks delicious, but this recipe I have got to try this week!! My mouth started watering even looking at it!