Sunday, January 24, 2010

Open Faced Ham Sandwiches

This ended up being a fabulous way to use and "dress-up" my Sunday ham left-overs. The kids really liked it too. I made some changes- ok pretty much I had something to say after every ingredient (sorry I know that's annoying) but I guess the point I'm trying to make it that you can adjust the recipe to fit you and it will still be delicious! :)

Open Faced Ham Sandwiches with Jack Cheese and Ancho Slaw
By Robin Miller

Ancho Slaw:
1 cup store-bought cole slaw mix (shredded cabbage and carrots) (*I just shredded my own cabbage. Cheap and only takes a minute.)
1/4 cup mayonnaise (I substituted plain yogurt and couldn't even taste a difference!)
1 T chopped fresh cilantro
1 T red wine vinegar (I used cider vinegar)
1 T ground ancho chiles, Tabasco chipotle sauce, or minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (I don't like the heat, so I just left it out- I know, I totally took the "Ancho" out of "Ancho Slaw" but it was still delicious. :)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
Salt and pepper to taste

4 thick slices country bread or rye bread (I used whole wheat English muffins)
12 ounces thinly sliced deli ham (this was a great way for me to use up my left over Sunday ham.)
8 or more slices Monterey Jack cheese (I subbed cheddar.)

In a medium bowl, combine the slaw mix, mayo, cilantro, vinegar, ground ancho, and cumin and mix well to coat the slaw. Season with salt and pepper.

Preheat the broiler. (This makes it sound like you have to have a "broiler" and if you're like me, you are thinking, "Great, I got this far and now I can't make it because I don't have a stupid broiler." Just set your oven to "broil". There you go. For a long time I didn't know that- I feel dumb admitting it- you probably did know, but it sure would have been nice if someone had told me I had a "broiler". :) Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.

Place the bread slices on the sheet. Top the bread with equal portions of the slaw mixture, then with the ham and cheese slices. Palace the sandwiches under the broiler until the cheese melts, 2-3 minutes.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: