Thursday, January 21, 2010

Egg, Ham and Spinach Pizza

I'm trying to get a little bit more protein in, and sometimes you've just got to have pizza, so I tried out this pizza by Ellie Krieger. Click here for a video of her making it. I think she just has some really great ideas, and I like her voice. :) Can a voice sound healthy? Ok- I'm just weird. Anyway- I made this pizza using my little sisters yummy crust recipe (which I made whole wheat) and I'm not patient enough to punch it down every ten minutes for an hour, so I have a little trick when I want to speed that process up. I just roll it out, put it in a pizza pan, and put it in the oven on "WARM" and watch it close- it rises a lot faster. (You have to bake it before you put toppings on with this recipe.) I like to do that with my regular bread too- I can make a batch in less than an hour that way, and I don't have to wait the whole day to do it. I do have to say that the egg was a little different, and that it didn't cook as fast as everything else on top. (Doug wasn't really into it, and that is usually a good indicator- the man likes just about anything.) I think if I were to do it again, I would either leave them off or cook them separate and put them on after. They looked cool though. :) Also, it was just crying out for tomatoes- I would put them on next time, fresh or even just a can of diced spread on the bottom. The pizza wanted them on it. :) It was fun to try something new though- I liked the spinach and I usually don't. :)

Egg, Ham and Spinach Pizza

  • 1 store-bought baked thin-crust pizza shell, preferably whole-wheat, such as Boboli
  • 4 cups (about 4 ounces) baby spinach leaves, thinly sliced
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 3 ounces prosciutto di Parma, thinly sliced (I just used regular ham.)
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (1 1/2 ounces)
  • 3 cloves thinly sliced garlic
  • 4 eggs

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place the pizza shell on a cookie sheet. Scatter spinach all over crust. Drizzle with oil. Evenly distribute prosciutto, Parmesan and garlic on top of spinach. Crack eggs onto pizza, roughly positioning 1 yolk on each pizza quarter. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until spinach is wilted and egg whites are just fully cooked. Cut into 4 large slices.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: