Friday, November 6, 2009

Sausage Skillet Dinner

Oh- I hope you will try this one! It was so good! I found it in the most recent Simple and Delicious (picture too- I've lost my camera battery). I have never used caraway seeds, and they are pretty strong, but the savory mix of flavor added so much to this meal- it just seemed like a fabulous harvest dish! (I made a few changes that I think improved it a bit.)

Sausage Skillet Dinner
3/4 lb. smoked sausage, but into 1-in. pieces (I used ground sausage, and it was really good!)
2 T butter
2 cups refrigerated red potato wedges (I just cut up about 5-6 red potatoes into small pieces. It took a little longer to cook through, but cheaper and a bit more crispy.)
1 medium onion, cut into wedges
1 medium apple, cut into wedges (I loved the flavor this added as it mixed with the cider vinegar!)
1/4 cup cider vinegar (maybe even less- be careful! :)
3 T. sugar
1/2 tsp caraway seeds
2 T minced fresh parsley

In a large skillet, saute sausages in butter for 3 minutes. Add the potatoes, onions and apple; saute 4-5 minutes longer or until apple is tender and potatoes are golder brown. Stir in the vinegar, sugar and caraway seeds.

Bring to a boil. Reduce hear; simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley.

No comments: