Friday, November 6, 2009

Herbed Chicken with Wild Rice

I tried out this delicious dish from Simple and Delicious, and I was quite pleased! I loved the wild rice! And bacon is good in anything! (Picture from magazine.)

Herbed Chicken with Wild Rice
1 pkg. (6 oz.) long grain and wild rice (I didn't have this, so I just put about 1/2 cup regular rice and 1/4 cup wild rice and about 2 cream of chicken cans of water.)
6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 oz. each)
1 Tbsp. canola oil
1 tsp. butter
1/2 lb. sliced fresh mushrooms
1 can (10-3/4 oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 cup water
3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
1 tsp. dried parsley flakes
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. dried tarragon

Place rice in a 5 quart slow cooker; set aside seasoning packet. In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil and butter. Add to slow cooker. In the same skillet, saute mushrooms until tender; place over chicken. (I skipped that step and just threw them in, and I just used canned mushrooms to speed things up.)

In a small bowl, combine the soup, water, bacon, herbs and contents of seasoning packet (I just added a few extra seasonings and some salt and pepper because I didn't have a "packet"). Pour over top. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or until chicken juices run clear.

No comments: