Monday, August 17, 2009

Pork Sirloin & Beans

Typically when I make a crockpot meal, I'm looking for shortcuts. Why not make "easy" easier? :) But, I have to admit, not taking shortcuts on this one paid off! The flavor was such a rich pleasant surprise. Doug said anyone could enjoy bean done like this. :) (I enjoy them dangerously all to much no matter how you do them up, but this was probably one of the best most flavorful ways I've had them.) The for was super tender! So yummy- normally I wouldn't do the browning it thing at the beginning (just dirties up another pan) but I think it is worth it- just sets in the flavor nicely. This is a good one! A crock pot winner!

Pork Sirloin & Beans
1 tsp each dried sage and rosemary
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2-1/2 lbs boneless pork loin (I used extra lean boneless country ribs.)
4 T extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 cup white wine (I subbed apple juice.)
2-3 cans (14.5 oz. each) great northern beans
1 can (14.5 oz) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, drained
1/4 cup chopped fresh sage
1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
1/4 cup parsley leaves
2 T toasted pine nits (I used walnuts)

1. Rub dried sage and rosemary, half the garlic, the salt and pepper over pork.
2. Heat halt the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat; brown pork all over, about 8 minutes. Place in slow cooker.
3. Cook onion in skillet over medium heat 3 minutes. Increase heat to medium high. Add wine; boil 7 minutes. Drain and rinse beans; stir into skillet with tomatoes. Simmer 12 minutes.
4. In food processor, finely chop remaining garlic, 2 T oil, fresh sage, parsley and pine nuts. Stir half into tomato mixture, then pour over pork. Cover; cook on low for 5-6 hours or until pork is tender.
5. Remove pork; snip off strings. Turn slow cooker to high; stir in remaining herb mixture to heat. Serve with pork.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: