Monday, January 19, 2009

Hardy Homemade Bread



My friend, Brooke, gave me this recipe several months back and I forgot what a good recipe it was for bread. It is great if you are a "yeast killer" like me. :) It is just one of those that you can't ruin and it keeps it simple. I like to add a lot of good hardy stuff (whatever I have on hand). With this last batch, I added oats and some cracked wheat (thats a tick of my moms) to give it a little crunch. I have also thrown in about 2 cups of 7 grain cereal and it is really good! Anyway- if you do make this bread, PROMISE ME you will butter up a nice warm slice fresh out of the oven. There is nothing like a slice of warm homemade bread. I kind of think that is one of the ways to any mans (or womans) heart. :) Good luck!

Hardy Homemade Bread
4 cups warm water
4 cups flour (white)
2 T yeast
Mix and let sponge for 15 minutes
Add:
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup sugar
2 T salt

Mix and add approximately 6 more cups of flour, until it cleans the bowl and forms a ball.
This is how I divide my 6 cup:
about 1 cup oats
about 1/2 cup dough pep or gluten - this really helps hold the bread together so it isn't crumbly
1/2 cup cracked wheat (I put it in the blender for a minute just to get rid of the big chunks)
4 cups whole wheat flour

Knead for about 5 minutes. Divide into 4 pieces and put in greased pans to raise until doubled. Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees. (I always like to butter the top a bit while it is hot.)

No comments: