Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Stuffed Squash for Two

This was a delicious fall dish... but I was not about to go to all this trouble without doubling the recipe. "Stuffed Squash for Two.... my foot!" :) Who measures their onions and celery in tablespoons anyway? I just cut up a whole one and probably added a lot more veggies than it called for, but it tasted great. Also- this is a long cooking time recipe- and to prove that I get really impatient- I completely spaced the whole buttering and sugaring stage and just loaded those puppies right up with the stuffing after 30 minutes of cooking on one side. Then I found out while they were cooking up. I wasn't sure what to do, so I just ended up cooking them about 20-30 minutes longer so mine were a little over cooked and I didn't butter and sugar the squash and I forgot the cheese, but they STILL tasted good and I am STILL recommending the recipe... so that should say something, along with my need to follow directions a little closer. :)

Stuffed Squash for Two
1 medium acorn squash
1 T butter, melted
2 T brown sugar
3/4 tsp salt, divided
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 lb ground beef
3 T chopped celery
3 T chopped onion
2 T flour
1/2 tsp rubbed sage
3/4 cup milk
1 cup salad croutons
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Cut squash in halt; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in an 9x13 baking dish; add 1/2 in of water. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 30 minutes. Drain water from pan; turn squash cut side up. Brush with butter; sprinkle with brown sugar, 1/4 tsp salt and pepper. Bake 30-40 minutes longer or until squash is tender.

Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook the beef, celery and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in flour, sage and remaining salt. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.

Remove from the heat; stir in croutons. Spoon into squash halves. Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: