Thursday, February 24, 2011

Freezer Meals: This one goes out to Michelle...

A while back, my friend Michelle posted a comment/questions/request, and I just wanted her to know that I had not forgotten about her! Here is what she wrote:

Hey Lydia,
I love your site because you have actually made the meal and you add your own twist to things, or alternatives you think would make it taste better! I was wondering if you have any recommendations for "make ahead" meals? You know, ones you freeze and use another time? I am thinking of trying some of those out for busy times. Do you have any good recipes to recommend? Or have you tried out any that you have liked? Thanks!
-Michelle

Michelle,
If you only knew how very much I am wishing for a freezer (Even a small one!) and dreaming of actually having freezer space to make something like that happen! I've just got an itty-bitty freezer and I'm lucky to squeeze in a bit of frozen fruit, some meat, and an occasional bag of unhealthy, but delicious tater-tots. :) So actually stuffing in a frozen casserole or the like, does not happen very often, and when it does, it somehow gets buried in the frozen abyss almost never to be discovered again, until it is too late. HOWEVER, when I was almost due with my last little guy, my sweet friends threw me a "Practical Baby Shower" (Here I go again with the baby-shower recipes :) and some of the girls helped cook and assemble some nice freezer meals for me- it was a huge help after the baby came! (Space was a bit of an issue then too, because I remember having to leave some in her freezer and she brought them to me later.)

They made Stuffed Jumbo Shells, Orange Chicken, Mini Cheddar Meat Loaves (One of my favorites!), and Herbed Chicken for me. All of these recipes freeze up really well and they used those disposable aluminum Dollar Store containers which stack up really nicely, but I think I would prefer zip-lock bags because I would rather microwave to heat them up- the oven takes to long for my impatient self. :) Most of them took about 30-40 minutes to heat through and I feel like I could make a meal in that time- but if you are thinking ahead and just remember to pop it in the oven, it works fine.

All these meals are all relatively easy to make, too and the whole family loved them! I should get in touch with my friend that threw me the shower, because she was always making freezer meals- a big batch at a time and then tucking it away. I know casseroles work really well- you just kind of make double and freeze one, and it isn't as much trouble.

I have made the Orange Chicken, but I think I forgot to post it, so I'll get around to posting that one soon. I recently made the Herb Chicken- it makes a great Sunday meal! It doesn't take too long to make and it's really tasty! Anyway- best of luck with your endeavors and please share with me what you discover works well! I know you've got some good ones up your sleeve! Glad you are keeping track of me! I miss sweet friends like you!
-Lyd

Herb Chicken
6 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
3/4 cup butter, melted (I think 1/2 cup or one cube would be plenty.)
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley
1 cup herb seasoned stuffing mix
1/4 tsp. dried sage
1/4 tsp dried thyme

Rinse chicken breasts and pat with pepper towels to remove moisture. In a small bowl combine all ingredients except chicken. Stir together until well blended. Place each chicken breast in herb mixture and coat on both sides. Place on greased baking sheet and cook at 325 for about 45 minutes. Makes 6 or more servings.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Haha! Thanks Lydia! I am so excited to try these out! Mmmmm. Hopefully I will have room in a freezer too, yikes.