Sunday, February 6, 2011
Chicken Pot Pie with Whole Wheat Pie Crust
Chicken Pot Pie (Betty Crocker)
1 package (10 oz) frozen peas and carrots (I peeled and thinly sliced potatoes, carrots, celery, and added some frozen peas instead if the frozen package.)
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup chopped onion (Give me a break... do people really just chop up 1/3 cup and "reserve" the rest? Do a whole onion, I would sleep better if you did!)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 3/4 cup chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
2 1/2 to 3 cups cut-up cooked chicken or turkey (You almost forgot too, didn't you? :)
Pastry for 9-inch Two-Crust Pie
1. Rinse frozen peas and carrots in cold water to separate; drain. (Or cut up all those veggies I mentioned above.)
2. Melt butter in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour, onion, salt, and pepper (and all the veggies if you do it that way.) Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in broth and milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute, Stir in chicken (yes chicken!) and peas and carrots; remove from heat.
3. Heat oven to 425.
4. Make pastry. Roll two-thirds of the pasty unto 13-inch squares. Ease unto ungreased square pan (9x9x2 inches) (I just did mine in a pie dish and I doubled the recipe so I would have two pies.) Pour chicken mixture into pastry lined pan.
5. Roll remaining pastry 11 inch square. Cut out designs with 1 inch cookie cutter. Place square over chicken mixture. Arrange cutouts on pastry. Turn edges of pastry under and flute.
6. Bake about 35 minutes or until golden brown.