Danny Boome's Eggplant Lasagna
- 2 large eggplants, sliced lengthwise 3/4-inch thick (8 slices)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided plus more for baking dish
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced cremini mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped thyme leaves
- 1 (15-ounce) container whole milk ricotta cheese (I used a container of cottage cheese for lack of ricotta. :)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan, divided
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped oregano leaves
- 2 cups Nona's Marinara Sauce (I was in a hurry and used the spaghetti sauce from a can... FOR SHAME, but this looked like a good recipe.)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Arrange sliced eggplant in a single layer on 2 sheet pans. Brush on both sides using 3 tablespoons of oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast the eggplant until it is soft and golden. Turn slices halfway through, about 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium skillet add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and the sliced mushrooms. Saute until soft for about 7 minutes. Add the minced garlic and chopped thyme. Cook for another 2 minutes. Once the mushrooms are cooked remo
ve and set aside to cool.
In a large bowl add the ricotta, eggs, 1/2 cup Parmesan, oregano, mushrooms, 2 teaspoons of salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mix well. Brush an 8-inch baking dish with oil.
Spread half of the marinara sauce on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Lay 4 slices on top followed by the ricotta mixture. Lay another 4 slices of eggplant and finish with marinara sauce. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan. Bake until golden brown, at 350 degrees, for 30 minutes.