Monday, October 11, 2010

Harvest Tortellini Soup


This soup is so easy to make and tastes so delicious! I've made a similar soup before, (this is a lot like the Garden Minestrone Soup) but I thought it would be fun to try a few different veggies and throw in some tortellini. This is my favorite soup to make when I have produce in the fridge that needs to be used up- you can throw just about any vegetable in there and it tastes great! It is perfect for this time of year with all the fresh produce from the garden!

Lyd's Tip: Soup is a great meal when you are in a hurry. You can just throw things in a pot and pretty much heat and simmer, so why add time to your schedule cooking meat? Save yourself several minutes or more by just using left-over meat you might have on hand. For example, I had just a little left over from the South Carolina Pork Sliders, and it added a yummy flavor, and all I had to do was throw it in. Maybe a little bit of your Sunday roast left over, or cooked chicken from the night before. You can cook up just a bit of hamburger too, but it's a good way to save time. You can also be brave and go meatless, and it will still be delicious.

Harvest Tortellini Soup (By Lyd)
Meat (Refer to Lyd's Tip above.)
1-2 bell peppers, chopped
3-4 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 cups chopped zucchini
1 cup chopped broccoli or cauliflower
1 (14-15 oz.) can stewed or diced tomatoes
3-4 cups water
3-4 tsp bullion (you could always use beef broth instead)
1 tsp Italian Seasoning
1 tsp basil (I like to throw in fresh basil if I have it)
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1-2 cups dried tortellini
Parmesan cheese

In about 1 cup of water, add vegetable and let them simmer on medium heat until they get tender, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add remaining ingredients and continue to simmer on medium low and stir until tortellini is soft and flavors are absorbed, adding more water and bullion if needed. Serve warm with grated Parmesan cheese on top.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

jess and seth said...

You are an inspired woman: how else could you know that I "have produce in the fridge that needs to be used up"? I do. This is perfect--I might have to resort to the frying hamburger, though. But I got a bunch of HH fresh herbs--I'm so excited to try this! (Do you think it would be okay w/out the tomatoes? I'm all out. Hmm. It probably wouldn't be as good--maybe I'll borrow . . .)